Maintenance is crucial to HVAC health as well as the health of your family. Keep your air conditioner working as good as new by following some simple spring maintenance tips – and avoiding time-consuming and costly mistakes! For the most efficiency, follow these top ten maintenance do’s and don’ts.
Spring Maintenance Tips: 5 DO’S
- Do install a high efficiency HVAC unit- Save yourself some hassle when it’s hot out and install a high-efficiency unit in the spring. Read our recent post, “Important Factors When Choosing the Best Air Conditioning Systems Today,” for more information on upgrading your central air unit.
- Do schedule professional air conditioning maintenance appointments- Increase the longevity of your unit by taking the necessary steps to protect your air conditioner from the chance of failures or breakdowns.
- Do routine HVAC cleanings- Before every summer, schedule a pre-season tune-up with a certified professional HVAC technician to clean and restore your air conditioning system to promote accurate unit performance and a healthier indoor air quality.
- Do check your air filter every month- Save money on monthly electricity bills with regular DIY maintenance checks like changing your air filter. A clean air filter not only reduces the number of particulates in the air to improve air quality, but also helps your unit run much more efficiently.
- Do check your thermostat– Invest in a digital thermostat that you can schedule to optimize temperature changes throughout the day and evening. Smart thermostats can even be controlled via WiFi remotely to give you access to even more energy-saving controls.
Spring Maintenance Tips: 5 DON’TS
- Don’t wait until the middle of summer to schedule your tune-up- Be proactive and avoid the frantic breakdown on a roasting weekend. Keep your cool with our pre-season tune-ups and convenient annual service agreements to extend the life of your system year after year.
- Don’t set your thermostat at the coolest setting– This frequent mistake can make your unit work much harder than necessary and skyrocket utility bills. In New Jersey, an energy-saving setting on your thermostat between 75-78 degrees Fahrenheit is suggested. This cool setting will not only reduce humidity levels and energy bills, but also increase comfort and efficiency.
- Don’t allow weeds, trees or shrubs to obstruct the AC condensing unit- Anything that could potentially block air flow, including plants, fences and toys, can result in increased system operating costs and lost efficiency during the cooling season. A rule of thumb is to maintain at least 2 feet between the AC unit and any nearby obstruction. If multiple AC units are installed in the same area, keep them at least four feet apart from each other.
- Don’t risk your safety- Call a NATE certified, professional HVAC technician for all repairs. Tampering with air conditioner refrigerant lines or electrical connections can not only be dangerous, but you could end up damaging your unit even more and void the warranty.
- Don’t sweat it- If an emergency arises, don’t sweat it. Call Point Bay for emergency AC service when you need it. We’re not just an oil company; when we say we are a “full service” company, we mean it. Not only do we offer services on Home Heating Oil, but also Heating, Air Conditioning, Installations and 24/7 emergency repairs.
Trust In Your Local HVAC Company, Point Bay Fuel
At Point Bay Fuel, our local HVAC technicians are here to help guide you through money-saving spring maintenance tips and keep your cool all summer long. We are a family-owned HVAC company located in Toms River, NJ and have been providing energy, heating and cooling services to the communities in Monmouth and Ocean Counties since 1906. Contact us at (732) 349-5059 to learn more.