carbon monoxideCarbon monoxide, or CO, is a tasteless, colorless, and odorless gas. It is a byproduct of any machine that utilizes fuel such as your home heating system. Therefore, the use of your heating system can come with various risks if you are not careful. Fortunately, with a little prevention, you can ensure that the toxic gas does not enter your home and threaten you and your family. There are various methods to approach this including professional HVAC maintenance checks, installing a carbon monoxide detecter, and others.

In this article, we share some information about carbon monoxide and what steps you can need to take for a safe home environment.

Explore Our Heating Services Call To Schedule A Free, In-Home Estimate

When Does Carbon Monoxide Become A Threat?

Carbon monoxide is generated during the heating process. If you have a system or appliance that utilizes natural gas, charcoal, propane, wood, or heating oil, then you will need to install a carbon monoxide detector. If it leaks into your home, it poses a serious risk when you inhale it. Not only do you need a carbon monoxide alarm, but your heating system will need a venting system that is working as it was intended to. Vents allow the CO to be released outdoors instead of breathed in by the occupants of the home.

The First Step In Carbon Monoxide Safety

image of a carbon monoxide detector

Installing a quality carbon detector and alarm is the first thing you need to do to achieve a CO-safe home. Make sure that your alarm is installed correctly. Read the manufacturer’s manual and follow its instructions carefully. Make sure that it is placed near any fuel-burning appliance as well. Test this battery-operated mechanism regularly and replace its batteries periodically. This way, it is fully operational at all times.

Common Causes Of Indoor Carbon Monoxide Build-Up

Ventilation problems in your heating system can result in CO accumulation. CO leaks occur with faulty heating units or ones that succumb to wear and tear. Other causes include a blocked vent or flue. Similarly, a backdraft that is near your heater can lead to carbon monoxide leaks. To avoid this, your heater must receive annual HVAC maintenance. The best time to do this is before the cold season begins because your heating unit ready for when you need it the most. Call your local trusted HVAC technician to conduct a proper heating system inspection. If your system has any issues that require any repairs, be sure to address them immediately.

Call Today: (732) 349-5059

A Common Sign Of A CO Build-Up Or Leak

carbon monoxide symptoms

Carbon monoxide leaks can be evident when looking at your heater’s exhaust. After all, CO is produced as exhaust during the combustion of fuel. The exhaust has different attributes depending on what kind of fuel your system utilizes. For instance, if it uses oil, then there will be smoke and soot. An oil-burning system that releases more soot than usual means you need to call a professional HVAC tech immediately.

Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Carbon monoxide poisoning can have different symptoms depending on the length of exposure to the toxic gas. Keep in mind that it can affect both humans and animals. The symptoms you might notice are as follows:

Mild:

  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Headache
  • Fatigue

Moderate:

  • Extreme headaches
  • Disorientation
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness

Severe:

  • Convulsions
  • Fainting
  • Heart Failure
  • Death

Bear in mind, that if you feel mind to moderate symptoms while at home but you feel fine when you leave the house, it may be due to CO exposure. If you suspect that you have experienced CO exposure, be sure to take the steps below.

Learn More About Our Heating Repair Services Call To Schedule A Free Estimate

Steps To Take If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Exposure

image of paper cut out of family in hands depicting furnace safety

Turn off all fuel-burning appliances in your home the moment your carbon monoxide detector alerts you. Open all windows and doors next. This way, fresh air circulates throughout your home. After doing these, go outside and make sure everyone else, including all pets, are out as well. If you feel any CO poisoning symptoms, report them to your doctor immediately. Keep in mind that if your CO detector alerts you, it is something that you should take seriously. Take immediate action as a means to be safe.

Call To Schedule A Free Consultation

Conclusion

Carbon monoxide poisoning should always be taken seriously because it has severe repercussions. If your home has a fuel-burning system and appliances, it must be accompanied by a fully-operational and well-maintained CO detector. It would help if you also got your furnace or boiler maintained by a professional annually. This way, you can be sure that you have a safe and warm environment during the winter season.

 

Contact Point Bay Fuel For All Of Your HVAC Requirements

Point-Bay-Fuel-Logo

For excellent heating and cooling services in the area, call Point Bay Fuel. Our professionally certified and highly-trained technicians provide superior HVAC maintenance, installations, replacements, and repairs. All our techs have the ability and competence to provide you with service that ensures your safety. You can expect them to complete both simple and complicated projects promptly while using their extensive knowledge and experience.

Point Bay Fuel offers affordable HVAC service rates in the area. Our heating and air conditioning tune-ups ensure that you experience a high level of comfort and energy efficiency at all times. We can also help you find the make and model should you need to replace your current system. Our home comfort service prices are highly competitive and transparent. Since we aim to build long-term relationships with our customers, your satisfaction is a top priority. All of our services come with a guarantee. To book a service appointment with us today, call Point Bay Fuel. We offer free, in-home estimates.

Call Now: (732) 349-5059 Read Our Testimonials

Contact us now by calling (732) 349-5059 to speak to one of our home comfort specialists!