As we begin to welcome in the change of seasons and the vibrant colors of fall, it’s also a good time to start checking off your “Fall To-Do” list and begin preparing your home for winter. Autumn temperatures are fairly mild in New Jersey, making it a beautiful time to be outside with the family…oh and tackle all those little chores that can maximize home comfort during our cold winter months. From cleaning your gutters to making an appointment to fill your oil tank, here are a few things you can do to prepare for the New Jersey heating season.
- Test Your Furnace– The best time of year to test out your furnace and get it ready for winter wear and tear is now. Don’t wait until it’s freezing outside to find out you have a problem.
- Schedule Maintenance– Schedule heating system maintenance to inspect your oil tank for leaks, cracks and broken parts.
- Clean Your Gutters- Fall season brings falling leaves. Ensure your gutters are clean and functioning properly so that the melting snow doesn’t overflow due to clogs. A simple inspection can save a big flood later this winter. So, go grab a ladder and take a look at the roof.
- Seal Up Cracks- Save big by eliminating drafts coming through windows and doors. Use weather stripping and caulk to seal up cracks and save a few bucks.
- Fill Your Oil Tank– There is never a better time to fill your oil tank than in the summer and early fall. Heating oil prices are low right now, and they normally go higher as winter gets closer.
- Upgrade Your Thermostat– Newer thermostats are programmable so you can set specific temperatures for different times of the day. This will not only allow you to manage the comfort levels of your home more efficiently, but it will also help you save money on heating bills.
- Replace Air Filters– Fall is a good reminder to replace air filters that have been collecting dust all summer long. Before you flip on the heat, make sure you’ll have clean air circulating throughout your home. A clean air filter not only allows your heating unit to run more efficiently, but it will also help keep the occupants in the home healthy.
Call Point Bay for Maintenance and to Fill Your Oil Tank
Thinking ahead for winter needs can be rewarding, especially when it comes to saving time, money and future headaches. To have your oil tank filled, inspected, maintained or fixed, give Point Bay Fuel a call at (732) 349-5059. We are proud to be Toms River, NJ trusted HVAC professionals; our professional and courteous technicians are knowledgeable to service all makes and models.
Our service technicians are also available 24/7 for any heating emergency.